Finalising and Maintaining the EHC Plan

The final EHC Plan creates the entitlements of a child or young person with SEN.  The draft plans may go through many changes, including a request for a Personal Budget.

Once the Local Authority have consulted with parents and the young person about their draft EHC plan, the Local Authority must finalise the Plan. 

What will the final EHC Plan contain?

The final plan will name the type and name of the school or college.  Once the school has been put into the plan, the school/college must admit the child or young person and put the educational provision into place.

Do we have the right to appeal about the Plan?

When a final EHC Plan is issued the parent/young person has a right of appeal to the SEND Tribunal and can appeal about:

  • the description of the child or young person's special educational needs;
  • the special educational provision specified in the EHC Plan; and/or
  • the name/type of school or college in the EHC Plan or the fact that no school/college is named.
Can we appeal against the health care provision?

If you would like to appeal against the health care provision specified in the plan, you will need to use the Local Clinical NHS complaints procedure.

Read more about appeals........


Page last reviewed: 23/02/2023

Skip back to top of page