Home to School Transport (SEND)

Home to school transport for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities is provided by Cumbria County Council's School Transport Team.  Transport entitlement is identified by Children and Families Services Assessment Officers.

How is the transport arranged?

Your child's transport is carried out by contracted transport operators.  This may be by minibus or smaller vehicles.  However it is likely that your child will travel with other children attending the same school.  We will try to provide consistency of drivers and passenger assistants where possible but this cannot always be guaranteed.  Routes, and the needs of the children on them, will be reviewed periodically which may result in changes to existing transport.

How will I be notified about the details of my child's transport?

Once transport has been arranged you will be notified of the details of the operator who will confirm collection times.   You will also be provided with a copy of your child's transport risk assessment.  You may also wish to inform drivers and passenger assistants of any other concerns to be taken into account on the journey.

What if I wish my child to be returned to a place other than their normal stopping place?

It is the parent's or guardian's responsibility to make alternative transport arrangements.  The Transport Commissioning Team and the school MUST be notified, 48 hours before, that the usual transport will not be required.  Parents and guardians should also provide details of the alternative arrangements to the school, preferably by email.  

Any information for school staff should be communicated to the school directly.  Your child's possessions should be contained in a named bag.

What if my child needs to take medication to school?

Please ensure any medication needed by your child is given to the escort in a tamper proof bag together with any written instructions for the Headteacher.

If your child is not returning home, eg: is going to respite care or an alternative address, it is the parent's and guardian's responsibility for ensuring that any medicaiton required is provided to the care facility.  School staff will not be reponsible for forward transmission of medication in these circumstances.

How do I apply for home to school transport?

Your Assessment Officer will raise an application on your behalf and pass the relevant information onto the Transport Commissioning Team who will organise the transport.

If you wish to discuss your child's needs, please contact any of the below area numbers: 

Area:  Telephone Number:
Carlisle & Eden  01228 226843
Allerdale & Copeland  01946 506211
Barrow & South Lakes  01229 407403
Interpreting & Translation Service     07554 438474
Who can I contact for more information?
Skip back to top of page