SEND in the Early Years
SEND support is embedded within the Early Help process. The Early Help Assessment form will be essential for:
- SENCOs following the Graduated Response outlined in the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice.
- Recording evidence of high quality teaching and SEN support in schools and settings using the information and advice set out in Bands 1 and 2 of the SEND Handbook.
When an additional need is identified for a child or young person, whether social, emotional, developmental or educational, an Early Help Assessment form can be started to gather information. The emphasis is on assessing all aspects of a child or young person's strengths, needs and circumstances, developing a plan to meet identified needs and reviewing progress systematically.
If, following the assess-plan-do-review process, the setting required support from the Learning Improvement Service or the Inclusion Service, eg: early years area SENCO, specialist advisory teacher or educational psychologist to meet the needs of the child or young person then the following should be undertaken:
- Fully complete the EHA form
- Decide on one service to request
- Gain written parent/carer consent
- Send the assessment form to the local SEND office with supporting evidence.
- Register the assessment with the Early Help Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To download documents and for further information, please view Cumbria's CSCP website.
SEND Early Years Resources
Early Years Development Journal [WORD 651KB]
Early Years Team:
Early Years Team Manager
Amanda Macdonald – Amanda.Macdonald@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 077854 56853
Early Years and Childcare Advisers
Chris Blair – Christine.Blair@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07967 050386
Karen Cove – Karen.Clove@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07966 111871
Laura Kendall – Laura.Kendall@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07824 834894
Early Years Advisers/Area SENCOs
Mary Cooper – Mary.Cooper@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07818 012576
Heather Dakin – Heather.Dakin@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07760 991500
Sue Hunter – Sue.Hunter@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07971 446053
Rachel Ramsbottom – Rachel.Ramsbottom@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07973 811191
Margaret Thornley – Margaret.Thornley@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 07768 888591
Early Years Finance Officer
Ailsa Witchell – Ailsa.Witchell@WestmorlandandFurness.gov.uk - 01228 221179