Independent Living

From year 9 onwards, when young people start planning for their future, they should be given information about the support available to help with housing.  This includes benefits and funding available to support people with SEND to live independently, as well as personal budgets, community support, and technology to support independent living, when appropriate.

Independent living does not describe a type of accommodation, or mean living alone.  It describes a person being in control of their living situation as much as they can be and being in an environment which promotes their health and happiness.

Assessing how much support is needed

When a young person has complex needs, Adult Social Care will do an assessment to find out what support they will need to enable them to live as independently as possible.  This can include adaptations to a property, for example making it wheelchair accessible, or arranging personal assistance for young people with special educational needs.  A financial assessment will determine what (if any) contribution a family will need to make towards the cost of social care services.

The transition team can help a young person from the age of 14 to 18 to move from services for children to adult social care services.  They will create a support plan with the young person, which will describe how their allocated funding can be used to help them live independently.

Finding somewhere to live

Some families will continue to have their son or daughter live with them once they become an adult.  Other young adults may be able to privately rent a place to live, with or without financial support from their family.  In both cases, you can still ask Adult Social Care for an assessment of need, if support is required to live independently.

Support for young people with SEND to live independently

Young people with SEND do not need to be open to social care services to be eligible for support, although those who are may be able to access funding from both services.

Support workers can visit people in their homes to deliver agreed assistance and are available to people living in owner occupied or rented homes and supported living accommodation, or self referrals can be made via the local district or borough housing team.

Adaptation to our home might be necessary to improve mobility in the home or to accommodate specialist equipment.  You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, available through your local district or borough council.

Being part of the community

Some young people with SEND will only need a small amount of support at home, and will spend the day at college or work.  If this is the case, support services should help young people to access leisure and social activities in their local community.  This can help the young adult to continue developing their skills and is good for their emotional wellbeing.

Contact us

Adult Social Services are currently updating their online resource directory for all adults with care and support needs.  As well as information and advice, it will include a directory of national helplines and local services and activities.  While this site is being developed you can contact the area Adult Social Care Offices as below:

  Allerdale    0300 303 3589 
  Carlisle   0300 303 3249 
  Copeland    0300 303 3589 
  Eden   0300 303 3249 
  Furness    0300 303 2704 
  South Lakeland    0300 303 2704 



Page last reviewed: 04/11/2021

Skip back to top of page