Post 16 Education and Training
All young people must be in some form of education or training until the age of 18 years old. However, after the age of 16 this does not have to be in a school.
Options after GCSE’s
- staying in education at a sixth form or a further education college
- working or volunteering while studying part-time
- start an apprenticeship
Find out more:
- Colleges in Cumbria - where a wide range of courses are offered related to career aims
- Apprenticeship Opportunities - where you can earn and learn at the same time
- Training - Providers run a range of programmes at all levels.
The Learning Improvement Service Post 16 Team seek to work with all educational and training providers to improve standards and provision for post-16 young people. The main aims are to improve what young people achieve in education and training post-16 and also to increase the numbers of them staying on in education and training; that is meaningful for them and increases their opportunities in life.
Further education and training links below: