Childcare support while you study

Financial help avaialble for students with children:

Care to Learn

You must be under 20 at the start of your course.

The scheme is available for publicity funded courses in England. This includes courses in:

  • schools
  • sixth-forms in schools
  • sixth-form colleges

You must choose your learning provider and childcare provider before you apply.

Learner Support

If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Learner Support.

You apply to your learning provider (for example your college) for Learner Support. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

The money can help pay for things like:

  • accommodation and travel
  • course materials and equipment
  • childcare - if you qualify

Childcare Grant

You may be eligible for help with your childcare costs if you:

  • are a full-time higher education student
  • have children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs

The grant does not have to be paid back and is paid on top of your other student fiance.

You must be eligible for student finance to apply for a Childcare Grant

Parents' Learning Allowance

You may be eligible for help with your learning costs if you’re a full-time student with children.

How much you get depends on your household income.

The allowance:

  • does not have to be paid back
  • is paid on top of your other student finance
  • will not affect your benefits or tax credit

Apply for the Parents’ Learning Allowance when you apply for student finance.

Page last reviewed: 27/03/2023

Skip back to top of page