Adult Social Care Support and Assessment

Adult Social Care is responsible for providing you with help to access the care and support that you need. Following the introduction of the Care Act 2014, we must provide a wider range of care and support than we did before. This includes helping people who pay for their own care.

Examples of what we can help with include:

  • general information, advice and sign-posting to organisations that can help you;
  • advice about housing including how to adapt your home and the range of accommodation options available;
  • equipment that can help you to remain independent at home;
  • short-term services, for example,  offering help when coming out of hospital;
  • an assessment where you can talk about your longer term needs and how you think these could be met;
  • a care and support plan about how your needs will be met;
  • help to understand how your care and support is funded.  What we pay for and what you might be asked to pay if your service is not free;
  • you can use your personal budget to arrange your own care in the way that best suits you.

If you care for someone, you can have an assessment from us. We can help you develop a support plan to make it easier for you to care. 

We can also help any member of the public or family who is worried about the safety of a vulnerable adult living in Cumbria. We call this 'safeguarding adults'.

Please view our Care and Support in Cumbria Booklet [PDF 3.2MB] for further information and advice. 

Cumbria County Council must carry out a Care Act assessment (2014) when there is significant benefit to the young person or carer in doing so, and if they are likely to have care and support needs after turning 18.

For the young person, this is sometimes referred to as the Transition Assessment, which should take place at a time when it is most appropriate for the young person.

Transition Social Workers work with young people from age 14 and potentially through to 25 years of age. The Transition process applies to all young people with additional needs and not just those with a learning disability or autism.

They work with young Cumbrians:-

  • who may require advice and information relating to social care needs;
  • who have significant disabilities and complex support needs;
  • who need support to move into adulthood;
  • who are eligible for Adult Social Care support.

Following completion of the assessment under the Care Act, information should be given about whether the young person, their Carer or young Carer is likely to have eligible needs for care and support when they turn 18.

Inspira is a source of information about these options. Their role is to help young people (from the age of 13 up to 24) to prepare for their transition to adult life.

Depending on the young person's needs, an Inspira professional adviser can offer information, advice and guidance on many areas including education, benefits, training and employment.

In addition young people should be encouraged to consider their aspirations for their living arrangements in the longer term.

A Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre can help you find a job or gain new skills and, tell you about disability friendly employers in your area. They can also advise you about claiming benefits such as Universal Credit;
Jobseekers Allowance; Employment Support Allowance and Personal Independent Payment.

DEA Services include:

  • employment assessment to identify skills and experience;
  • referral to a work Psychologist for specialist assessment;
  • practical advice regarding adjustments or support at work; and
  • advice regarding employers' obligations under the Equality Act 2010.
Transition from Children's to Adult Healthcare

All services work under the Cumbria Transition Policy. Please speak to the health professionals who are involved with your child. If you do not know who to contact, please contact NHS North Cumbria Integrated Care Community Paediatrics.

Key contacts....

Adult Social Care

Adult Social Care is an online resource for all adults with care and support needs. As well as information and advice, it includes a directory of national helplines and local services and activities.

Alternatively, you can contact your local Adult Social Care office as below:

 Allerdale   01900 706301 
 Carlisle  0300 303 249 
 Copeland   01946 506352 
 Eden  0300 303 249
 Furness  0300 303 2704
 South Lakes   0300 303 2704

Make an online enquiry about Adult Social Care: Online enquiry form

Page last reviewed: 27/10/2023

Skip back to top of page